THE HISTORY OF
WOLSTENHOLME HALL

THE HISTORY OF WOLSTENHOLME HALL

Nutters – Our Building’s History

We may be biased, but Nutters Restaurant really is the ideal restaurant special occasion and wedding venue; from our gothic style hall built in 1850 by George Goodwin and its enchanting features to our beautifully maintained six and a half acres of woodlands and gardens with views across Ashworth Valley and Manchester beyond.

1850–1920

Wolstenholme Hall was built by George Goodwin Of Staffordshire, as a private gothic-style manor house in 1850, built of Staffordshire brick and set in six and a half acres of woodland.

1920–1927

Having changed hands several times, local Councillor Harold Shawcross purchased the building and was used as a military hospital to house injured soldiers during WWI. In May 1920, he loaned the building to Rochdale Town Council as a temporary TB sanctuary with 25 beds for male patients.

1927–1977

Harold Shawcross offered to sell the hall to the council for £2,500, stipulating that he would then hand the money back to the council to provide care for TB patients as Wolstenholme. In 1927, they bought the hall and grounds for the sum of £2,000. True to his word, Mr Shawcross handed the money back to the council for the fund. The building operated as a hospital until 1977.

1978–1988

After closing as a hospital the building was bought by a private owner and became “The Manor Night Club”. The club was successful for a number of years, but it wasn’t long before falling on harder times, soon aferwards going into receivership. After unsuccessful attempts to find new owners it was left in ruins and became derelict.

1988–2003

After four abandoned years, the building was bought by Whitbread who spent £1.5m restoring the building and adding extensions. The Manor – as it was known – became one of the most successful steak houses in Britain. Whitbread rebranded the building in the mid 90’s as Brewster’s but due to falling trade and Whitbread’s desire to be nearer the motorway the building was put up for sale at the start of 2003.

2003–PRESENT

Bought by Rodney Nutter in January 2003, Wolstenhome Hall is now the proud home of Nutter's Restaurant and “The Art Of Seriously Good Cooking”.

Slider
1850–1920

Wolstenholme Hall was built by George Goodwin Of Staffordshire, as a private gothic-style manor house in 1850, built of Staffordshire brick and set in six and a half acres of woodland.

1920–1927

Having changed hands several times, local Councillor Harold Shawcross purchased the building and was used as a military hospital to house injured soldiers during WWI. In May 1920, he loaned the building to Rochdale Town Council as a temporary TB sanctuary with 25 beds for male patients.

1927–1977

Harold Shawcross offered to sell the hall to the council for £2,500, stipulating that he would then hand the money back to the council to provide care for TB patients as Wolstenholme. In 1927, they bought the hall and grounds for the sum of £2,000. True to his word, Mr Shawcross handed the money back to the council for the fund. The building operated as a hospital until 1977.

1978–1988

After closing as a hospital the building was bought by a private owner and became “The Manor Night Club”. The club was successful for a number of years, but it wasn’t long before falling on harder times, soon aferwards going into receivership. After unsuccessful attempts to find new owners it was left in ruins and became derelict.

1988–2003

After four abandoned years, the building was bought by Whitbread who spent £1.5m restoring the building and adding extensions. The Manor – as it was known – became one of the most successful steak houses in Britain. Whitbread rebranded the building in the mid 90’s as Brewster’s but due to falling trade and Whitbread’s desire to be nearer the motorway the building was put up for sale at the start of 2003.

2003–PRESENT

Bought by Rodney Nutter in January 2003, Wolstenhome Hall is now the proud home of Nutter's Restaurant and “The Art Of Seriously Good Cooking”.

Slider

TO MAKE A RESERVATION PLEASE CALL 01706 650167 OR TO MAKE AN ENQUIRY PLEASE EMAIL ENQUIRIES@NUTTERSRESTAURANT.COM

Our awards